As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- June, July & August Equity Unbound, MYFest Choose-your-own-learning journey of openness, digital literacies, community building, critical pedagogy, wellbeing & joy, see programme for details
- 8/6/2022 Digitally Enhanced Education Webinar (including Professor Kathleen M. Quinlan & Dr Edd Pitt (University of Kent): Digitally enhanced assessment and feedback: promising practices from the literature 2016-2022 and more.)
- 8-9/6/2022 QAA Scotland, Enhancement Conference 2022: Resilient Learning Communities – Inclusive, Flexible and Accessible (hybrid online and in person)
- 9/6/2022 CDE and the University of London Institute in Paris, The hybrid experience for the practitioner
- 9/6/2022 Advance HE, Assessment and feedback webinar
- 13/6/2022 INRAP, Active Feedback: Building students’ capacity to generate their own feedback
- 13/6/2022 ACUE, Designing Courses that Put Students and Equity First (note that the time listed is US Eastern time).
- 13, 20, & 29/6/2022 Advance HE, Assessment and feedback summit
- 14-16/6/2022 University of Edinburgh, Learning & Teaching Conference (hybrid in person and online)
- 16/6/2022 UKAT, Tutoring Matters – Understanding Reflection and its Relationship with the Personal Tutor Role
- 16-18/6/2022 Centre for Distance Education, University of London, Conference on Research in Distance Education (RIDE) Accelerating innovation (hybrid online and in person at Glasgow)
- 20/6/2022 University of Birmingham, HEFi, Promoting Sustainability through Future Facing University Teaching (hybrid online and in person)
- 23/6/2022 Future Teacher Webinars, Strategies to support reading – Reflected
- 26-27/6/2022 Assessment in Higher Education (AHE) International Conference
- 6-8/7/2022 Playful Learning Conference
- 12-13/7/2022 University of Hull Learning and Teaching Conference 2022, Personalised Pedagogies: inclusive, empowering and progressive higher education for all, see full programme
Resources and publications
- Bassa, B. (18/5/2022), Pouring from an empty cup: poor university staff wellbeing is an impossible ground for high quality teaching, Advance HE News & Views
- Beyond the Lectern podcast series
- Carless D. (1/7/2022), From teacher transmission of information to student feedback literacy: Activating the learner role in feedback processes, Active Learning in Higher Education, 23(2):143-153.
- Curtis, G., Bretag, T., Slade, C. & McNeill, M. (n.d.), Substantiating contract cheating: A guide for investigators, TEQSA
- Drumm, L. (6/6/2022), Trouble ahead for digital education? The risks of forgetting and distancing of education from the digital, Meta Meta: learning about learning about learning
- Hartley, P., Beckingham, S., & Dawson, M. (30/6/2022), Success in groupwork, London, Bloomsbury Academic
- Kuepper-Tetzel, C. E., & Nordmann, E. (4/6/2021), Watch Party Lectures: Synchronous Delivery of Asynchronous Material, Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education
- Lancaster, T. (6/5/2022), Artificial Intelligence Led Threats To Academic Integrity, European Conference on Academic Integrity and Plagiarism 2022
- Leaders and Legends of Online Learning podcast series
- Nordmann, E., Kuepper-Tetzel, C. E., Robson, L., Phillipson, S., Lipan, G., & McGeorge, P., (11/12/2018), Lecture capture: Practical recommendations for students and instructors, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Psychology
- Pitt, E. & Quinlan, K. M. (19/5/2022), Impacts of higher education assessment and feedback policy and practice on students: a review of the literature 2016-2021, Advance HE
- QAA (2/6/2020), Contracting to Cheat in Higher Education: How to Address Essay Mills and Contract Cheating, second edition
- Simonson, S. R., Earl, B. & Frary, M. (2022), Establishing a Framework for Assessing Teaching Effectiveness, College Teaching, 70(2), 164-180.
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE.
- Call for proposals 30/6/2022 Transformative Teaching international online conference.
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.