As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- June, July & August Equity Unbound, MYFest Choose-your-own-learning journey of openness, digital literacies, community building, critical pedagogy, wellbeing & joy, see programme for details
- 23/6/2022 Future Teacher Webinars, Strategies to support reading – Reflected
- 26-27/6/2022 Assessment in Higher Education (AHE) International Conference
- 6-8/7/2022 Playful Learning Conference
- 12-13/7/2022 University of Hull Learning and Teaching Conference 2022, Personalised Pedagogies: inclusive, empowering and progressive higher education for all, see full programme
- 20/7/2022 Active Learning Network, 5th International Active Learning Conference – Moving forward with confidence (programme and booking link)
Resources and publications
- Dickinson, J. (20/6/2022), Whose job is it to help students make friends?, WonkHE
- Gamification versus Game-based Learning, Student Online (dis)engagement, Netnographic Analysis of Duolingo, Digital Culture and Education, 14(3)
- Merry, K. (1/6/2022), Ask The Expert Part II: Approaching UDL Assessment (15-minute video recording), Talking Learning and Teaching video series “In this video, Kevin shares his top tip for UDL assessment.”
- Nicol, D. (1/6/2022), “Turning Active Learning into Active Feedback“, Introductory Guide from Active Feedback Toolkit, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow, National Teaching Repository
- Open University Learning Design Team (n.d.), Resources, OU Learning Design Team Blog
- Spaeth, E., & Pearson, A., Dr. (11/10/2021), A Reflective Analysis on Neurodiversity and Student Wellbeing: Conceptualising Practical Strategies for Inclusive Practice,
- Swansea University Academy for Learning and Teaching (31/5/2022), Juggling Commitments: Gaining a PGCertHE on the Job (35-minute audio recording), A Pinch of SALT podcast series
- WonkHE (15/6/2022), Taking action on belonging and inclusion (article and 3-hour video recording)
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE.
- Call for proposals 30/6/2022 Transformative Teaching international online conference.
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.