As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 14-21/10/2022 UWE Bristol Higher Education Pedagogies, Policy and Practice Research Network (HEPPP), Exploring expertise in teaching in higher education: The artistry of teaching
- 17/10/2022 Enhancing Digital Capacity in Teaching and Learning (EDTL) in Irish Universities, Approaches to supporting students’ academic integrity
- 18/210/2022 Falmouth University MA Education, Masterclass: Values in Education – Discord and Harmony
- 18/10/2022 “Talking Teaching Across the Globe” at Oxford Brookes, A manifesto for the sustainable development of course and programme leaders in Higher Education
- 18/10/2022 Jisc, Supporting learners’ digital identity and wellbeing
- 19/10/2022 International Centre for Academic Integrity, International Day of Action against Contract Cheating (series of events)
- 19/10/2022 Post-pandemic University, Is Digital Education sustainable?
- 19/10/2022 Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars, How Best to Engage our Students in 2022/23
- 19/10/2022 WonkHE, Belong from the beginning: Building connections, confidence and inclusion at university
- 26/10/2022 International Federation of National Teaching Fellows, Designing for agency and presence: Lessons learned from a case in innovation
- 2/11/2022 Transforming Assessment with Assessment in Higher Education Network, Student Centred Feedback Practices
- 2/11/2022 SCARN, SCARN – Annual Learning and Teaching Conference 2022
- 8/11/2022 Active Learning Network, Inclusive practices in active learning
- 10/11/2022 Student Assessment and Classification Working Group Seminar, Playing by the Rules: Assessment Regulations and Taught PG Programmes
- 15/11/2022 Active Learning Network, Building active learning communities
- 22/11/2022 Active Learning Network, Empowering active learners
- 11 & 12/2022 QAA, Hallmarks of Success Playbook Sprint: Student-Centred Learning and Teaching
- Workshop: 7 November, 14:00-16:00
- Check-in 1: 17 November, 10:00-11:30
- Check-in 2: 6 December, 10:00-11:30
- Finish: 14 December, 10:00-11:30
Resources and publications
- Bali, M. (12/10/2022), Be Brave: Spoken Poetry on Anger, Reflecting Allowed: Maha Bali’s blog about education
- Business Online Assessment (n.d.), Framework for evaluating online assessment
- Cumming, J. (4/10/2022), Signaling Research Gaps, Dr Jenn Cumming Sport, Exercise and Dance Psychologist
- D’Agostino, S. (12/10/2022), With Online Social Annotation, Students Read Together, Inside Higher Education
- Mazur, E., Episode 1: Peer Instruction (30-minute audio and video recording), Social Learning Amplified podcast series
- Zou, D., Xie, H. & Wang, F. (16/9/2022), Effects of technology enhanced peer, teacher and self-feedback on students’ collaborative writing, critical thinking tendency and engagement in learning, Journal of Computing in Higher Education
- Monthly series European Network for Academic Integrity, ENAI monthly webinars free open webinars on various topics related to academic integrity
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE.
- Call for submissions due 21/10/20922 for Social Media for Learning in Higher Education Conference –@SocMedHE #SocMedHE2022
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.