As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- Ongoing MOOC, Open University, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in STEM
- Ongoing MOOC, University of Derby, Flexible Learning Toolkit
- 29/9/2021 The Compassion Salon, Towards a Compassionate University: Dr. Theo Gilbert and Dr. Kathryn Waddington in conversation
- 30/9/2021 EAT-ERASMUS, Promoting a Pragmatic Self-Regulatory Approach to Assessment
- 6/10/2021 Transforming Assessment, Using video in assessment and feedback
- 13/10/2021 Tile Network, Supporting Neurodiversity in Education
- 13/10/2021 Blended Learning Consortium, Higher Education Blended Learning Consortium University Launch Event
- 19/10/2021 European University Association DigiHE, Developing a high-performance digital education ecosystem: strategy and organisational culture
- 20/10/2021 UDL UK and Ireland Network, Institution-wide approaches to embedding Universal Design for Learning
- Multiple dates through 2/2022 AdvanceHE, Inclusive learning and teaching workshop series
Resources and publications
- Austen, L., & Malone, C. (2018), What students want in written feedback: praise, clarity and precise individual commentary. Practitioner Research in Higher Education, 11(1), 47-58.
- Bailey, P. (20/9/2021), How will students be learning from September?, Jisc Co-design blog.
- Bellinger, D. B., & DeCaro, M. S. (2019). Note-taking format and difficulty impact learning from instructor-provided lecture notes, Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 72(12), 2807–2819. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747021819879434
- Blackmore, C., Elliot, D., Ohlsen, S., Daley, R., Guccione, K. (16/9/2021), Supervisor Toolkit, Are You OK? Researching international doctoral student supervision
- Braun, V. & Clarke, V. (2019), Reflecting on reflexive thematic analysis, Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 11:4, 589-597
- Compassion in Education: Embedding and Assessing Compassion in the University Curriculum.
- Farrow, R., Iniesto, F., Weller, M., Pitt., R., Algers, A., Baas, M., Bozkurt, A., Cox, G., Czerwonogora, A., Elias, T., Essmiller, K., Funk, J., Lambert, S., Mittelmeier, J., Nagashima, T., Rabin, E., Rets, I., Spica, E., Vladimirschi, V. & Witthaus, G. (2021). GO-GN Guide to Conceptual Frameworks. Open Education Research Hub. The Open University, UK.
- Harvey, C., Maratos, F.A, Montague, J, Gale, M., Clarke, K & Gilbert, T. (2020) Embedding Compassionate Micro Skills of Communication in Higher Education: implementation with psychology undergraduates. Psychology of Education Review, 44 (2), 68-72.
- Harvey, C. (3/3/2021), Embedding Compassionate Communication wit Students, University of Derby Blog.
- Hinchcliffe, T., Bovill, C., & Matthews, K. (21/9/2021), A new guidebook for members – Student Partnerships in Assessment (SPiA), AdvanceHE
- Merry, K. (16/9/2021), Knowing learners, barriers, and variability (11-minute video), iGen Learning
- McLaughlin, C. & McCune, V. (23/9/2021), Designing and structuring discussion forums, Teaching Matters Blog, University of Edinburgh.
- Raes, A., Detienne, L., Windey, I. et al. (2020), A systematic literature review on synchronous hybrid learning: gaps identified, Learning Environment Research 23, 269–290.
- Rettinger, D. & McConnell, K. (22/9/2021), Is Cheating a Problem at Your Institution? Spoiler Alert: It Is, Inside Higher Education
- Rhodes, E. (10/2021), Preparing for the new teaching term, The Psychologist, British Psychological Society.
- Ruge, G., Schӧnwetter, D. J., McCormack, C. & Kennelly, R. (15/9/2021) Teaching philosophies revalued: beyond personal development to academic and institutional capacity building, International Journal for Academic Development
- Willmott, C. (15/9/2021), Take-home messages from “Practical Pedagogy”, Journal of the left-handed biochemist
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.