As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
NOTE: Oxford Centre for Staff Learning and Development (OCSLD) at Oxford Brookes University, “Publishing opportunity for HE students and educators on improving student engagement”
I recommend following the University of Birmingham HEFi Twitter account. It is a good source of pedagogical literature and micro-CPD.
Online events and webinars
- 10/5/2021 University of Surry, Book Launch: Meaningful Teaching Interaction at the Internationalised University: Moving from Research to Impact
- 14/5/2021 University of Warwick, TEALfest Technology Enhanced Active Learning Festival
- 24/5/2021 Future Teacher Webinars, From panic to post-pandemic planning – Designing technology enhanced programmes
- 9/6/2021 Transforming Assessment, Australian National Teaching Award winners panel exploring online assessment
- 10/6/2021 University of Kent Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars, Pedagogy and Practice when Teaching Online
- 16-18/6/2021 University of London Centre for Distance Education, Research in Distance Education (RIDE) conference 2021: Learning through disruption
- 17/5/2021 University of Birmingham HEFi, Disclosure dances: the experience of invisible disabilities in higher education
- 24-25/6/2021 St Mary’s University, Festival of Learning and Teaching
Resources and publications
- AdvanceHE (15/6/2020), Creating Socially Distanced Campuses and Education Project – Leadership Intelligence Report – Design and Delivery
- Arnold, L. (8/4/2021), Authentic Assessment Top ‘Reflective’ Trumps!, Lydia Arnold, Learning, teaching, assessment, technology, higher education & action research
- Bali, M. (1/5/2021), On Privilege & Sharing Power, Reflecting Allowed
- Castelli, F. R., & Sarvary, M. A. (10/1/2021), Why students do not turn on their video cameras during online classes and an equitable and inclusive plan to encourage them to do so, Ecology and Evolution, 11(8)
- Guccione, K., & Hutchinson, S. (30/3/2021), Coaching and Mentoring for Academic Development, Emerald Publishing, Ltd.
- Hendry, G. D., White, P., & Herbert, C. (18/3/2016), Providing exemplar-based ‘feedforward’ before an assessment: The role of teacher explanation, Active Learning in Higher Education,
- International Journal for Students as Partners (new issue published 7/5/2021)
- King, S. (4/5/2021), Assessment Support Week resources for staff: MicroCPD (2 minute video), HEFi, University of Birmingham
- Mihai, A. (5/5/2021), Fancy a journey around the world?, The Educationalist
- Payne, A., Stone, C., & Bennett, R. (29/4/2021), Conceptualising and building trust to enhance engagement, achievement and feedback-seeking behavior of under-served students: exploring instructor antecedents in online tertiary education, Qeios
- Sambell, K., Brown, S., & Race, P., Giving formative feedback prior to submission quick guide, Quick Guides & Resources, Edinburgh Napier University DLTE
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.