As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 28/3/2023 Turnitin Protecting Academic Integrity in 2023, Webinar 2: Combating Contract Cheating On Campus
- 29/3/2023 Talis Elevate Teach Learn Collaborate Repeat pedagogy panel: Getting Started – First Steps with Social Annotation
- 29/3/2023 IFNTF Seminars, Engaging Students with the Feedback Process with Nigel Francis, Cardiff University
- 29/3/2023 UDL UK and Ireland Network, UDL Instructional Design Workshop, “Learn how to create instructional experiences using the UDL principles as part of a structured, facilitated process called CUTLAS”
- 30/3/2023 QAA, Improving student learning by linking inclusion/accessibility and academic integrity
- 30/3/2023 Learning and Teaching Innovation Lecture Series, Beyond the Chat: Understanding the Impact of ChatGPT in Higher Education
- 30/3/2023 Future Teacher Webinars, Working with Rich Media 2 – Audio
- 5/4/2023 Transforming Assessment, Designs for our times: adapting assessment in an AI context
- 12/4/2023 EAT-Erasmus, Self-regulation competency framework
- 14/4/2023 European Network for Academic Integrity (ENAI), ENAI Recommendations on the ethical use of Artificial Intelligence and the European Conference on Ethics and Integrity in Academia 2023 (ECEIA 2023)
- 19/4/2023 WonkHE, The avalanche is here: Higher education and the AI revolution
- 24-28/4/2023 QAA, Assessment Festival “We will dare to be controversial, ask those difficult questions and take a forward-facing look at how assessment may evolve. The festival will bring different voices from the sector to share and celebrate assessment practices that enhance student experience.”
- 26/4/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Alex Pitchford, Aberystwyth University, presents ‘Increasing Engagement & Active Learning using Vevox in Maths and Sciences’
- 26/4/2023 Turnitin Protecting Academic Integrity in 2023, Webinar 3: The Student View On Contract Cheating and AI Writing Tools
- 9-11/5/2023 University of Liverpool CIE, Islands of Innovation
- 12/5/2023 ENAI, Tips and tricks for running survey-based research in Academic Integrity
- 17-18/5/2023 Change Agents Network conference, Reimagining student/staff partnerships to generate new learning opportunities
- 9/6/2023 Academic Practice and Technology Conference (APT) “Implications and Ethical Dimensions of using Artificial Intelligence in Higher Education Teaching, Learning and Assessment“, pre-conference online event
- 30/6/2023 Academic Practice and Technology Conference (APT) “Implications and Ethical Dimensions of using Artificial Intelligence in Higher Education Teaching, Learning and Assessment“, in-person at King’s College London, Strand campus
Resources and publications
- Association for Learning Technology (ALT) South (3/3/2023), Open and inclusive assessments (1-hour video) and presentation slides
- Association for Learning Technology (ALT) South (15/3/2023), TechThursdays – Directed study, ChatGPT led independent study and Exam revision (1 hour video)
- Bozkurt, A., Xiao, J., Lambert, S., Pazurek, A., Crompton, H., Koseoglu, S., Farrow, R., Bond, M., Nerantzi, C., Honeychurch, S., Bali, M., Dron, J., Mir, K., Stewart, B., Costello, E., Mason, J., Stracke, C. M., Romero-Hall, E., Koutropoulos, A., Toquero, C. M., Singh, L Tlili, A., Lee, K., Nichols, M., Ossiannilsson, E., Brown, M., Irvine, V., Raffaghelli, J. E., Santos-Hermosa, G Farrell, O., Adam, T., Thong, Y. L., Sani-Bozkurt, S., Sharma, R. C., Hrastinski, S., & Jandrić, P. (2023), Speculative Futures on ChatGPT and Generative Artificial Intelligence (AI): A collective reflection from the educational landscape, Asian Journal of Distance Education, 18(1), 53-130
- Bridle, J. (16/3/2023), The stupidity of AI, The Guardian
- Chechitelli, A. (n.d.), Understanding false positives within our AI writing detection capabilities, Turnitin Blog
- Chew, S.L. & Cerbin, W. J. (2020), The cognitive challenges of effective teaching, The Journal of Economic Education
- Cotton, D. R. E., Cotton, P. A. & Shipway, J. R. (2023), Chatting and cheating: Ensuring academic integrity in the era of ChatGPT, Innovations in Education and Teaching International
- Dickinson, J. (17/3/2023), An avalanche really is coming this time, WonkHE
- Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars (16/3/2023), Teaching with ChatGPT: Examples of Practice
- Guy, M. (12/3/2023), Digifest 2023: An innovation celebration, Alternative Assessment (summary of Jisc DigiFest highlights)
- Jisc (7/3/2023), Framework for digital transformation in higher education, Jisc Guides
- Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education No. 26 (28/2/2023): Special Edition, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Köseoğlu, S., Veletsianos, G. & Rowell, C. (2023), Critical digital pedagogy in higher education, AU Press
- Leach, M. (20/3/2023), Like Clippy, only on steroids, WonkHE, ‘Generative AI tools are about to be ubiquitous. Mark Leach reviews the week that might have changed everything for HE.’
- Microsoft (17/3/2023), Introducing Microsoft 365 Copilot with Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote (11-minute video)
- Mihai, A. (16/3/2023), On throwing a party. Inclusive practice in Higher Education, The Educationalist
- Moore, E. (16/3/2023), Help! A robot wrote my essay!: Reflections on webinars about ChatGPT, OU Learning Design Team Blog
- OpenAI (14/3/2023), GPT-4 is OpenAI’s most advanced system, producing safer and more useful responses
- Trimbos, B. & Nicol, D. (13/3/2023), From Active Learning to Active Feedback, SBO
- Yan, Z. (8/8/2022), Student Self-Assessment as a Process for Learning (1st ed.), Routledge. (First chapter is open access)
- Monthly series European Network for Academic Integrity, ENAI monthly webinars free open webinars on various topics related to academic integrity.
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE. I often find out about good resources for the Roundup from the chat.
- Call for papers due 15/5/2023, King’s College London, University College London, the London School of Economics & Political Science and Imperial College London Academic Practice and Technology Conference (APT) 2023 (hybrid in person and online), Implications and Ethical Dimensions of using Artificial Intelligence in Higher Education teaching, learning and assessment
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.