As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 16/8/2021 ALT, A Framework to Support Problem-Based Learning (mobiPBL)
- 27/8/2021 ALT, Copyright and online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic
- 1/9/2021 Transforming Assessment webinars, Making post-pandemic assessment authentic and engaging (Sally Brown & Kay Sambell)
- 1-2/9/2021 RAISE Network, Annual conference: Student Engagement in the Context of Covid-19
- 10/9/2021 Pedagogy and Pancakes, Practical Pedagogy Conference
- 6/10/2021 Transforming Assessment webinars, Using video in assessment and feedback
Resources and publications
- ACUE (2020), Inclusive Online Teaching Webinars recordings and resources (about 1 hour each)
- Bartolic, S. K., Boud, D., Agapito, J., Verpoorten, D., Williams, S., Lutze-Mann, L., Matzat, U., Moreno, M. M., Polly, P., Tai, J., Marsh, H. L., Lin, L., Burgess, J-L., Habtu, S., Mercedes Rodrigo, M. M., Roth, M., Heap, T. & Guppy, N. (2021) A multi-institutional assessment of changes in higher education teaching and learning in the face of COVID-19, Educational Review
- Bournemouth University Centre for Fusion Learning, Innovation and Excellence, Co-creating Assessment (6 videos, about 3 minutes each)
- Bruff, D. (29/9/2010), Tools for Grading – Sample Rubrics and Spreadsheets, Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
- Fisher, K. (11/2003), Demystifying Critical Reflection: Defining criteria for assessment, Higher Education Research & Development, 22(3), 313-325
- Healey, M. & Healey, R. (n.d.), Embedding Active Learning into your Teaching Practice, Heriot Watt University Learning & Teaching Academy
- Honicutt, B. (27/7/2021), Podcast Episode 95: Case Study Episode: Redesigning an In-Person Lab to an Online Format with Jennifer Wallace (30-minute recording), MSN, RN, CNE, Lecture Breakers Podcast and Show Notes
- Lawrence, J., Brown, A., Redmond, P., Maloney, S., Basson, M., Galligan, L., & Turner, J. (8/3/2021), Does Course Specific Nudging Enhance Student Engagement, Experience and Success?: A Data-Driven Longitudinal Tale. Student Success, 12(2), 28-37.
- Liberman, B. (18/3/2019), How Learning Works: 10 Research-Based Insights, Getting Smart
- Mayes, J. T. (7/4/2015), Still to learn from Vicarious Learning, E-learning and Digital Media 12(3-4)
- Nebel, C. (29/7/2021), Unlearning Neuromyths, The Learning Scientists blog
- Open University Learning Design Team (4/2021), Planning the Student Journey
- Pun, K. (2/9/2016), Dos and Don’ts on Designing for Accessibility, Accessibility in Government, UK government blog post featuring useful posters for accessible design
- Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching, Teaching Guides
- Varwell, S. (5/7/2021). Models for exploring partnership: Introducing sparqs’ student partnership staircase as a reflective tool for staff and students, International Journal for Students As Partners, 5(1), 107–123.
- 19/9/2021 deadline, call for proposals – SOAS Learning & Teaching Conference, The New Normal and Collaborative Student Learning
- OpenLearn MOOC started 5/8/2021, Scholarship of teaching and learning in STEM, Open University
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.