As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 22/2/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Daniel Fitzpatrick presents ‘Using Vevox in whole class and small group teaching’
- 22/2/2023 Advance HE, Student Success Framework Series Review and Redesign: Student Engagement through Partnership
- 22/2/2023 Talis Elevate, Teach, Learn, Collaborate, Repeat (TLCR) Pedagogy Panel session: More talking in class!
- 22/2/2023 NewT Talk series for new or aspiring academics, “Stephanie Aldred will talk about internationalization in HE and William Machaca will share his career story which has many international dimensions”
- 23/2/2023 Association for Learning Technology (ALT), ALT South – AI, ChatGPT and assessment
- 23/2/2023 Future Teacher Webinars, Working with Rich Media 1 – Images
- 27/2/2023 Advance HE, Student Success Framework Series Review and Redesign: Student Engagement through Partnership
- 28/2/2023 Turnitin Protecting Academic Integrity in 2023, Webinar 1: AI: Friend or Foe?
- 28-29/3/2023 University of London Centre for Online and Distance Education, RIDE 2023 conference Sustaining Innovation: Research and Practice (hybrid online and in-person event)
- 1/3/2023 TEQSA and Deakin University Centre for Research in Assessment & Digital Learning, ChatGPT – how should educators respond?
- 6/3/2023 RAISE, RAISE student engagement reading group
- 7-8/3/2023 Jisc, DigiFest (hybrid online and in person) “Innovation takes collaboration; it takes connection; it takes networks. It takes questions: why do you do that? what if I tried this? why not?”
- 14/3/2023 University of Sheffield ScHARR Short course, Creating Digital Accessible Teaching Materials
- 15/3/2023 Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars, Teaching with ChatGPT: Examples of Practice
- 22/3/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Laura Jenkins, University of Loughborough, presents ‘Use Vevox for formative and mid-module feedback’
- 28/2/2023 Turnitin Protecting Academic Integrity in 2023, Webinar 2: Combating Contract Cheating On Campus
- 29/3/2023 UDL UK and Ireland Network, UDL Instructional Design Workshop, “Learn how to create instructional experiences using the UDL principles as part of a structured, facilitated process called CUTLAS”
- 24-28/4/2023 QAA, Assessment Festival “We will dare to be controversial, ask those difficult questions and take a forward-facing look at how assessment may evolve. The festival will bring different voices from the sector to share and celebrate assessment practices that enhance student experience.”
- 26/4/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Alex Pitchford, Aberystwyth University, presents ‘Increasing Engagement & Active Learning using Vevox in Maths and Sciences’
- 26/4/2023 Turnitin Protecting Academic Integrity in 2023, Webinar 3: The Student View On Contract Cheating and AI Writing Tools
- 9-11/5/2023 University of Liverpool CIE, Islands of Innovation
- 17-18/5/2023 Change Agents Network conference, Reimagining student/staff partnerships to generate new learning opportunities (call for proposals open until 13/3/2023)
Resources and publications
- Ajjawi R,. Tai J., Boud D. & De St Jorre T. J. (2023), Assessment for inclusion in higher education promoting equity and social, Routledge (e-book is open access)
- Alby, C. & Stachowiak, B. (12/1/2023), How Artificial Intelligence is Impacting Higher Education (43-minute audio recording with links to resources), Teaching in Higher Ed Podcast
- Armellini, A., Dunbar-Morris, H., Barlow, A., & Powell, D. (23/9/2022), Student engagement in blended and connected learning and teaching: a view from students, Student Engagement in Higher Education Journal, 4(2), 165–181 (This is the article for the 6/3/2023 RAISE, RAISE student engagement reading group)
- Arnold, L. (15/2/2023), AI and Assessment in Higher Education: Reflections, Lydia Arnold
- Biggins, D. and Holley, D. (28/10/2022), Student wellbeing and technostress: critical learning design factors, Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, (25)
- Chiang, T. (9/2/2023), ChatGPT’s Blurry JPEG of the Web, The New Yorker
- Christodoulou, D. (6/2/2023), If we are setting assessments that a robot can complete, what does that say about our assessments?, Daisy Christodoulou
- Elliot, C. (12/2/2023), The Freedom to Learn: or how I learned to stop worrying and love marking (8-minute video), Bloomsbury Broadcasting Corporation
- Guy, M. (9/2/2023), Reducing the emphasis on grades, Digital Assessment at UCL
- Mills, A. (16/2/2023), Teaching with AI: Using Writing Generators in the Classroom (PPT from presentation)
- Reis, C., Varga-Atkins, T. & Lindsay, R. (8/2/2023), Islands of Innovation: around the campfires of collaboration, The SEDA Blog
- Roose, K. (16/2/2023), Bing’s A.I. Chat: ‘I Want to Be Alive. 😈’, New York Times
- Turnitin (n.d.), The Turnitin Blog (includes articles about AI-generated text)
- Monthly series European Network for Academic Integrity, ENAI monthly webinars free open webinars on various topics related to academic integrity.
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE. I often find out about good resources for the Roundup from the chat.
- Call for submissions due 3/3/2023, Active Learning Network, 2023 Global Online Festival of Active Learning.
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.