As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 16/2/2023 Academic Development Centre, University of Warwick, The place and case for lectures and lecture capture in the new normal
- 17/2/2023 HEFi University of Birmingham, February HEFi Reading Group: Stephen Brookfield, Learning from Colleagues’ Perceptions
- 20/2/2023 Learning Technologies SIG, TELSIG Webinar: Podcasting as pedagogy, “Why not have students do something that is truly dialogical in nature?”
- 22/2/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Daniel Fitzpatrick presents ‘Using Vevox in whole class and small group teaching’
- 22/2/2023 Talis Elevate, Teach, Learn, Collaborate, Repeat (TLCR) Pedagogy Panel session: More talking in class!
- 22/2/2023 NewT Talk series for new or aspiring academics, “Stephanie Aldred will talk about internationalization in HE and William Machaca will share his career story which has many international dimensions”
- 23/2/2023 Future Teacher Webinars, Working with Rich Media 1 – Images
- 28-29/3/2023 University of London Centre for Online and Distance Education, RIDE 2023 conference Sustaining Innovation: Research and Practice (hybrid online and in-person event)
- 6/3/2023 RAISE, RAISE student engagement reading group
- 7-8/3/2023 Jisc, DigiFest (hybrid online and in person) “Innovation takes collaboration; it takes connection; it takes networks. It takes questions: why do you do that? what if I tried this? why not?”
- 14/3/2023 University of Sheffield ScHARR Short course, Creating Digital Accessible Teaching Materials
- 22/3/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Laura Jenkins, University of Loughborough, presents ‘Use Vevox for formative and mid-module feedback’
- 29/3/2023 UDL UK and Ireland Network, UDL Instructional Design Workshop, “Learn how to create instructional experiences using the UDL principles as part of a structured, facilitated process called CUTLAS”
- 24-28/4/2023 QAA, Assessment Festival “We will dare to be controversial, ask those difficult questions and take a forward-facing look at how assessment may evolve. The festival will bring different voices from the sector to share and celebrate assessment practices that enhance student experience.”
- 26/4/2023 Vevox Pedagogy 2023 series, Alex Pitchford, Aberystwyth University, presents ‘Increasing Engagement & Active Learning using Vevox in Maths and Sciences’
- 9-11/5/2023 University of Liverpool CIE, Islands of Innovation
- 17-18/5/2023 Change Agents Network conference, Reimagining student/staff partnerships to generate new learning opportunities (call for proposals open until 13/3/2023)
Resources and publications
- Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (2023), ALDinHE Book Sharing Padlet
- Andries, P. (31/1/2023), AI set to be a gamechanger in education, Media & Learning
- Anthony, P. (2/2023), ChatGPT in Education (Padlet), Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars
- Anthony, P. (9/2/2023), Pedagogy and Practice when Teaching and Learning Online (playlist of recorded talks), Digitally Enhanced Education Webinar series YouTube channel
- Cuthbert, K. & Lee, S. (7/2/2023), How phenomenon-based learning could empower students, WonkHE, “Kate Cuthbert and Sue Lee ask if we need to rethink traditional course structures to prepare students for the contemporary workplace?”
- Garnham, W. & Gowers, I. (9/2/2023), Active Learning in Higher Education: Theoretical Considerations and Perspectives, SEDA Focus series, Routledge
- Putnam, A. L., Sungkhasettee, V. W., & Roediger, H. L. (2016), Optimizing Learning in College: Tips From Cognitive Psychology, Perspectives on Psychological Science, 11(5), 652–660
- Monthly series European Network for Academic Integrity, ENAI monthly webinars free open webinars on various topics related to academic integrity.
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE. I often find out about good resources for the Roundup from the chat.
- Call for submissions due 3/3/2023, Active Learning Network, 2023 Global Online Festival of Active Learning.
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.