As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 14/12/2022 Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars, What role does Learning Design play in student retention, progress and success?
- 14/12/2022 UAL Digital Education, Spark! Live, ‘Spark! Live is an online series of talks to celebrate the new edition of Spark journal.’
- 15/12/2022 Center for Engaged Pedagogy, Barnard College, Kelly Miller’s lecture, “Overcoming Challenges in Active Learning Environments” and Eugenia Zuroski’s lecture, “Anticolonial Grammars of Relation in the Classroom”
- 15/12/2022 UKAT, Moments and meetings that changed our advising practice
- 19/1/2023 QAA, Co-creating assessments workshop
- 24/1/2023 Tile Talks, Quality Provision and Support for Distance Doctoral Students
- 25-30/1/2023 University of Liverpool, Liverpool Learning Summit 2023 – Citizenship: Global, local, digital
- 8/2/2023 UDL UK and Ireland Network, UDL Instructional Design Workshop ‘Learn how to create instructional experiences using the UDL principles as part of a structured, facilitated process called CUTLAS’
- 7-8/3/2023 Jisc, DigiFest (hybrid online and in person) “Innovation takes collaboration; it takes connection; it takes networks. It takes questions: why do you do that? what if I tried this? why not?”
- 9-11/5/2023 University of Liverpool CIE, Islands of Innovation
Resources and publications
- Academic Practice, UWE (12/12/2022), Developing Expertise Symposium (playlists from live and recorded event)
- Active Learning Network (12/12/2022), ALN Inaugural CPD Series, November 2022 (blog post with 3 videos)
- Ajjawi, R., Tai, J., Boud, D., & Jorre de St Jorre, T. (Eds.) (2022), Assessment for Inclusion in Higher Education: Promoting Equity and Social Justice in Assessment, Routledge, (open access book)
- Jones, B. D. (5/12/2022), Engaging Students by Creating a Positive Motivational Climate – A Summary (blog post and 1-hour video and slides), TILE Network
- Jones, B. D. (2018), Motivating Students by Design: Practical Strategies for Professors, 2nd Edition (downloadable book), Charleston, SC: CreateSpace
- Harvard Graduate School of Education (n.d.), Project Zero’s Thinking Routine Toolbox, ‘A thinking routine is a set of questions or a brief sequence of steps used to scaffold and support student thinking.’
- Harvard Graduate School of Education (n.d.), Thinkability podcast series
- Mihai, A. (12/12/2022), How (much) do you support your students?, The Educationalist
- Seery, M. (12/12/2022), The pedagogy of (showing you) care, Michael Seery Blog
- Teaching and Learning Mathematics Online (TALMO) online toolkit
- Monthly series European Network for Academic Integrity, ENAI monthly webinars free open webinars on various topics related to academic integrity
- Subscribe to SEDA’s mailing list for email discussions about educational development and emerging teaching practices. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Follow University of Birmingham’s Higher Education Futures institute HEFi on Twitter for daily posts with links to pedagogical literature and more. This is one of the sources I use when identifying useful material for the Roundup.
- Join the #LTHEchat on Twitter Wednesday nights for one hour of lively discussion about learning and teaching in HE. I often find out about good resources for the Roundup from the chat.
- Call for papers due 19/12/2022, University of Winchester, Decolonising the University Within and Beyond the Curriculum
- Call for papers due 21/12/2022, Interdisciplinary Learning & Teaching UK, 7th Interdisciplinary Learning and Teaching Conference (UK) Interdisciplinary Experiences: Transforming Perspectives (hybrid online and in-person)
- Call for papers due 23/1/2023, AHE, International Assessment in Higher Education (AHE) Conference (in-person, Manchester)
- Call for papers due 27/1/2023, Oxford Brookes University, International Teaching and Learning Conference: Pedagogies of possibility: tales of transformation and hope
- Call for participation due 31/1/2023, Association for Learning Design & Education for Sustainable Development, Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp 2023
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.