As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- Ongoing MOOC, Open University, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in STEM
- Ongoing MOOC, University of Derby, Flexible Learning Toolkit
- 9/9/2021 Media & Learning, How accessible are higher education video services one year on from the Directive?
- 13/9/2021, Practical Pedagogy conference
- 14/9/2021 TILT, TILT Annual Learning and Teaching Conference
- 15/9/2021 Amnet, Accessibility: Matching Image Description to the Content
- 16/9/2021 Active Learning Network, Creative Universities: Global Challenges and Alternative Futures
- 16/9/2021 Centre for Excellence in Learning & Teaching, UEL Learning and Teaching Symposium
- 6/10/2021 Transforming Assessment, Using video in assessment and feedback
- 13/10/2021 Tile Network, Supporting Neurodiversity in Education
Resources and publications
- ALT (2021), Framework for Ethical Learning Technology.
- Bayne, S., Evans, P., Ewins, R., Knox, J., Lamb, J., Macleod, H., O’Shea, C., Johnston, K. (2020), The manifesto for teaching online, MIT Press.
- Callaghan, D. & Collins, H. (2021), Adaptive action learning in an online community: facilitating a large cohort to deliver results, Action Learning: Research and Practice, 18:1, 20-37
- Cormier, D. (30/8/2021), Facilitating Online Breakout Groups (7-minute video)
- Dieste, T. (1/9/2021), 75% of university lectures are inaccessible for students with auditory impairments, Media & Learning
- Drysdale, T. (7/9/2021), Innovation in Science Teaching, Teaching Matters Blog
- Freelon, D., Bali, M., Chibnall, D., Morris, S., Kuo, R., Tedford, R., & Williams, A. (31/8/2021), How Can Educators Equip Students with the Tools They Need to Combat Misinformation?, Sage Publishing, (4-hour recording and toolkit from 2021 Critical Thinking Bootcamp)
- Fripp, D. (3/9/2021), Assessment Feedback Assistant, Jisc Co-Design
- Gyurko, J. (26/8/2021), Bringing Faculty into the Student Success Movement, ACUE Community
- Hunt, R. (1/9/2021), Inclusive Cultures: What experiences give students a sense of belonging or exclusion? (podcast 15 minutes), Teaching Matters Blog
- Jisc (7/9/2021), Students say universities must learn from the pandemic to improve higher education, Jisc News
- Misiejuk, K. & Wasson, B. (28/8/2021), Backward evaluation in peer assessment: A scoping review, Computers in Education
- Open University Learning Design Team, Resources (including Collaborative Online Activities)
- Teaching Enhancement Unit (7/2021), Guidance for moving large class cohorts to the online environment, Dublin City University
- Walker, R., Chong, S., & Chong, J. (2021). Facilitating peer-led group research through virtual collaboration spaces: an exploratory research study. Research in Learning Technology, 29.
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.