As leader of our PGCTHE programme, I keep an eye out for resources to help staff teach effectively. These include webinars, podcasts, online toolkits, publications and more. Topics include active learning, online/blended teaching, accessibility/inclusion, and effective learning design based on cognitive science. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Online events and webinars
- 7-9/6/2021 Heriot-Watt University, Learning & Teaching Academy open keynotes: Assessment for Learning, Building Community Online with Equity and Care, Towards a Resilient University: What have we learned from Covid?
- 10/6/2021 Glasgow Caledonian University, Supporting the Mental Wellbeing of our BAME & LGBTQ+ Students (webinar 4): Student Learning, Wellbeing and whatever normal is going to be…
- 21/6/2021 Higher Education Futures institute (HEFi) open CPD, Revisioning the potential of Freire’s principles of assessment: Influences on the art of assessment in open and online learning through blogging (read article)
- 21/6/2021 Educational Developers Thinking Allowed (EDTA), Online Learning Spaces as Troubled and Troubling places for Educators, email Fiona Smart to book
- 25/6/2021 National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Pedagogy for Higher Education Large Classes (PHELC) Symposium
- 25/6/2021 Westminster HE forum, Next steps for reforming the TEF and ensuring teaching excellence in HE
- 30/6/2021 Advance HE, The future of the student voice in a post-NSS world? Policy, principles, practice
- 1/7/2021 Assessment in HE Network, AHE Conference Keynote talks: Joanna Tai: Assessment for diversity in the post-digital world, and Paul Ashwin: How teaching, learning and assessment without knowledge undermine the educational role of higher education
- 6-8/7/2021 Advance HE, Teaching and Learning Conference 2021: Teaching in the Spotlight: What is the Future for HE Curricula?
- 12-16/7/2021 Playful Learning, Playful Learning Online Conference 2021
- 7-9/9/2021 Association for Learning Technology (ALT), ALT Annual Conference: Shared Experience, Different Perspectives
Resources and publications
- Advance HE (25/5/2021), Student Partnerships in Assessment – new podcast series
- Chaudry, P. (5/2021), Five elements of teaching in a pandemic that will shape future university provision, Media & Learning blog
- Goetzke, E. (19/12/2019), Reduce Workload; Increase Impact – A Reflection, TILE Network, (video of talk byRoss Morrison McGill, 56 minutes)
- Kuipers, G. & Brans, L. (1/6/2021), Making a transnational teaching podcast: lessons learned, Media & Learning blog
- Lubicz-Nawrocka, T. & Bovill, C. (17/5/2021) Do students experience transformation through co-creating curriculum in higher education?, Teaching in Higher Education
- McMurtrie, B. (27/5/2021), Why an Active-Learning Evangelist Is Sold on Online Teaching, Chronicle of Higher Education, Teaching
- Quinlan, K. M. & Pitt, E. (28/5/2021) Towards signature assessment and feedback practices: a taxonomy of discipline-specific elements of assessment for learning, Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice
- Rosenshine, B. (2012), Principles of Instruction: Research-based Strategies that All Teachers Should Know, American Educator
- Sherrington, T. (18/12/2017), #Five Ways of Giving Effective Feedback as Actions, teacherhead
- Talbert, R. (19/6/2019), Agile Student Feedback through the Five Question Summary, Robert Talbert, Ph.D.
- Think UDL podcast, Episode 63: Minding Bodies, Senses, and Perception
- Woolfitt, Z. (17/5/2021), Reflections on a year of teaching online – Media and Learning Conference – Spring 2021, Video Teaching
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.