As lecturer in learning and teaching responsible for the PGCTHE, I keep an eye out for new resources to help our staff teach effectively online. This includes externally-provided webinars, toolkits, publications and other resources. Because active learning is high on our university agenda, I’m particularly keen to share guidance for moving active learning online. Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
- 14-18/12/2020 SEDA Winter Festival “The programme covers a wide range of educational change and development – from ways to foster our learners’ inner feedback, through various individual and institutional responses to the COVID-19 crisis and moves to virtual teaching and online support, including both staff and student perspectives, with contributions from across the UK and from China.”
- 13/1/2021 SHIFT L&T Conference “Radically reimagining Higher Education for a new era: working together for a just and sustainable future”, University of Greenwich
- 29/1/2021 Keeping it Real: Celebrating Authentic Learning in the UK “This half-day conference will explore the diverse authentic learning approaches adopted by colleagues across the UK through a variety of talks and case studies”, University of Bath and King’s Academy, King’s College London
- Advance HE (1/12/2020), #52etc – 52 Engaging Toolkit Cards for enhancing student engagement
- Caines, A. (7/12/2020), The Zoom Gaze: Video conferencing offers an illusory sense of unilateral control over conversations, Real Life Magazine
- Centre for Learning and Teaching, American University in Cairo (23/11/2020), Guide to Design your Course for Online Instruction
- Covey, I. (9/12/2020), Cyhoeddi fersiwn Cymraeg o’r Fframwaith Ymarfer Goruchwyliol Da
- Darby, F. (17/4/2019), How to be a Better Online Teacher, Chronicle of Higher Education
- Learning Scientists Podcast (3/12/2020), Episode 52 – Two University Students Share Their Experiences with Online Learning During A Pandemic
- Riggs, S. (15/4/2020), Student-Centered Remote Teaching: Lessons Learned from Online Education, Educause Review
- Udalowska, A. (9/12/2020), Why and how to help students to reflect on their learning?, Aberystwyth University LTEU Blog
- UK Council for Graduate Education, The Good Supervisory Practice Framework
- Walmsley-Smith, H. (2/12/2020), Helping designers design effective online learning, SEDA Blog
- Wesch, M. (25/22/2020), How a Reluctant Online Teacher found Joy, Purpose and Adventure Teaching Online, Media & Learning
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff. I hope you find this weekly resource roundup useful. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact our team at email@example.com. You may also wish to follow my Twitter feed, Mary Jacob L&T.