As lecturer in learning and teaching responsible for the PGCTHE, I keep an eye out for new resources to help our staff teach effectively online. This includes externally-provided webinars, toolkits, publications and other resources. Because active learning is high on our university agenda, I’m particularly keen to share guidance for moving active learning online.
Below I’ve listed items that came to my attention in the past week. In the interest of clarity, our policy is to show the titles and descriptions in the language of delivery.
Calling @AberUni staff. Do you use short Panopto lectures or Panopto quizzes in your online teaching? We’re after examples to use in our new good practice module. Email email@example.com if you’d like to share your materials with us.
- 18/6/2020 “TILE Network – Back To School: What Did We Do? What Did We Learn?” https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/webinar-back-to-school-what-did-we-do-what-did-we-learn-registration-109125816254
- 23/6/2020 “How to localise ABC Learning Design?” https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/webinar-4-abc-ld-localisation-tickets-108845020386 Twitter https://twitter.com/ABC_LD
- 24/6/2020 “ALT – Preparing for our ‘new normal’: how can effective student feedback help universities to survive and thrive in the next academic year? Student feedback webinar. Topics to be covered include; Is student evaluation still as important, and what does this look like in the ‘new normal’?; How are universities developing their student feedback mechanisms to reflect what the next academic year is really going to be like?; What are the new, and emerging opportunities, for capturing student feedback?; Is it possible to engage the dis-engaged and traditionally harder-to-reach groups?; How are academic and professional teams being supported to deliver this agenda?” https://go.alt.ac.uk/3e1Xvbe
- 24/6/2020 “Ucisa – Virtual Stratified Medicine Lab – intro to basic lab skills. (Designing a virtual lab tour to promote the learning and teaching of Stratified Medicine)” https://www.ucisa.ac.uk/Events/2020/June/Spotlight-on-Digital-capabilities-webinar-2
- “Teaching Innovation & Learning Enhancement (TILE network)“ blog https://tile.psy.gla.ac.uk/blog/ Twitter https://twitter.com/TILEnetwork
- Association for Learning Technology (ALT), “Call for chapters: Designing Courses with Digital Technologies: Evidence and Examples by and for Higher Education Instructors” Higher education is currently undergoing a digital transformation. As most higher education institutions are integrating digital technologies, instructors need guidance. In this book, to be published by Routledge, instructors from around the world, representing different subject disciplines, will write short chapters with concrete examples of how they use digital technologies to support teaching and learning informed by evidence. The book will be written by and for instructors. https://go.alt.ac.uk/30MLdQf
- Educause Review, “Editor’s Picks”: “Can HyFlex Options Support Students in the Midst of Uncertainty?”, “Teaching during COVID-19: Why We’re Fortunate”, “Orienting Students to Online Learning: A Must for Student Success” https://er.educause.edu/editors-picks
- Gierdowski, Dana and Joseph Galanek, “ECAR Study of the Technology Needs of Students with Disabilities, 2020 – building accessible infrastructure for all students with Universal Design for Learning (UDL)”, Educause Review, 1/6/2020 https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2020/6/ecar-study-of-the-technology-needs-of-students-with-disabilities-2020
- Okpala, Jude, “COVID-19, Online Learning, and Beijing Jiaotong University, Weihai: Outbreak Narrative or Paradigm Shift?”, Educause Review, 28/5/2020 https://er.educause.edu/articles/2020/5/covid-19-online-learning-and-beijing-jiaotong-university-weihai-outbreak-narrative-or-paradigm-shift
- O’Toole, Robert, “Peer learning and breakout groups in live online lectures”, 20/5/2020 http://www.inspireslearning.com/journal/peer-learning-and-breakout-groups-in-live-online-lectures/
- Rossi, Virna, “Inclusive Learning Design – a rich picture”, https://inclusivelearningdesign.com/inclusive-tree/
Please see the Staff Training booking page for training offered by the LTEU and other Aberystwyth University staff.