AU Graduates Digital Skills Profile Series – Week 4 (Physics Graduate)

Our last profile for this semester is a recent Physics graduate who has had an exciting career since leaving Aberystwyth University in 2002 and is now teaching himself computer programming and is hoping to find a new career in that field.

At AU we have lots of resources to help you learn new things such as computer programming, including the new CoderPad challenges in LinkedIn Learning. In addition to this, next week we will be posting a follow-up blog detailing all the resources available to you to enhance your digital skills so keep a lookout for that!

*Please click here to read all of the other posts in our AU Graduate Digital Skills Profile Series*

Text version:

When did you graduate from AU?

What did you study? – Physics

What are you doing now professionally since graduating? I have taught English in Japan and done a PhD in Physics at Leeds University. At the moment I am teaching myself computer programming and I hope to find a career in that.

What digital skills have you used in work? –

Digital creation- “when I was teaching English I would create and design lesson materials using things like MS PowerPoint.”

Digital learning- “during my PhD I learnt a huge amount of new digital skills and used a lot of new programmes and software, particularly in data analysis and handling.”

Digital proficiency- “in both my teaching and PhD I was relying on digital tools and software to carry out day to day tasks so I have good digital proficiency. When I started my undergrad at Aberystwyth that was the first time I had ever sent an email so I have learnt a lot since then.”

Are there any digital skills you wish you had learnt before you graduated?

“I have always been interested in computing and so I feel quite proficient especially having done an A-level in computer science. I picked up most digital skills before graduating but maybe having the ability to have learnt computer programming skills from AU provided platforms would have made it easier to find a job in it now.”

Have you noticed any common weaknesses the digital skills of those in a similar field as you?

“Not really as most physics graduates seem quite good with technology but I do see a pattern in correlation to how inclined people are towards computing technology and if people are not interested in it they will just pick up the minimum that they need.”