Welcome to the Aberystwyth University Blogging Service.
If you wish to start a blog, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements and we’ll advise you on how to get started. You can also view information about setting up a blog on the Web Services pages.
Our Active Blogs
Latest posts from across the AU blogging network
- Left to right: Marius Schaefer, Ryan Wilson, Neil Glasser, John Reynolds, Sarah Shannon and Pablo Irribaren The first glacial hazards workshop has held at Aberystwyth University between the 19th and 21st July, 2016. The 'Glacial Hazards in Chile' team discussed progress, to date, concerning Chilean fieldwork, glacial lake mapping, glacial hazard assessment, outburst flood modelling and ...more
- Sorry, this entry is only available in ...more
- Eñaut Izagirre is a glaciology Masters student at the University of Magallanes, Chile and is one of a team of researchers and explorers currently working on the Incognita Patagonia project. The Incognita Patagonia project aims to explore, map and measure selected glaciated areas of the Southern Patagonia Andes, in doing so, improving the understanding of ...more
- The first field campaign of the ‘Glacial Hazards in Chile’ project has been successfully completed!! During April 2016 project collaborators from the Austral University of Chile travelled to the Colonia Valley, located southeast of the Northern Patagonia Icefield. Since 2008, the Colonia Valley has been affected by more than 15 GLOFs when the ice-dammed lake ...more
- An interesting comparison of images acquired by the Landsat 8 satellite sensor highlights the downstream impacts of a Glacial Lake Outburst Flood (GLOF) triggered in Kazakhstan on 23 July 2015. View the comparison at NASA's Earth Observatory: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=86300&src=ve&src=share ...more
- Initiated in 2016, this RCUK-NERC and CONICYT project brings together a collaborative team of scientists from the UK and Chile in order to further investigate 'Glacial Hazards in Chile'. The website presented aims to set out the specific goals of the project and the methodologies proposed in order to achieve them, and provide a interactive ...more
- A new article published by glacierhub.org discusses the possibly imminent eruption of the Nevados de Chillan mountain complex (located in the Bío-Bío region of Chile). This mountain complex (reaching over 3,200 meters in elevation) includes glacier cover totaling 2 square kilometers and thus, aside from the risk of lava flows and ash clouds, there is ...more
- With the 'Glacial Hazards in Chile' project now well on the way, interest has begun to mount from several UK and international media outlets. In articles published by the BBC, Cambrian News and AlphaGalileo, Professor Neil Glasser (Aberystwyth University) states that “glacial lake outburst floods pose a significant hazard to communities and infrastructure in many mountainous ...more