Veterinary Biosciences at Aberystwyth University by Charlotte Marsh

My name is Charlotte and I am a final year BSc Veterinary Biosciences student at Aberystwyth University. Over the past three years I have lived and studied in the beautiful, coastal town of Aberystwyth and had some thoroughly enjoyable experience through my student life and course.

There are many reasons why my time in Aberystwyth has been so enjoyable, but the one that takes precedence is the location! Taking a leisurely stroll along the promenade or harbour is definitely a firm favourite activity in the community. I also love how small, safe, cheap, and friendly the town centre is, you are always bumping into someone you know. The traditional nature of the town means there are a limited number of high street shops and famous restaurant chains but this is easily made up for by a generous supply of independent retailers, bakeries, and pubs.

I started my degree, Veterinary Biosciences, in the autumn of 2015 where I was in and among the first ever cohort of students to study this course at Aberystwyth University. At first, we all found it somewhat nerve-wracking to be the ‘guinea-pigs’ of the course, but I have found that this has enhanced my university experience. It enabled me to make friends and settle in a lot easier than I anticipated, as I was with a crowd who were all in the same boat as me! The lectures were always listening to our thought on the modules to improve the experience for all students. My first year was a memorable one, as there were so many modules that presented new and exciting opportunities. I particularly enjoyed Applied Animal Biology, and Equine Anatomy and Physiology as these allowed me to perform dissections on all kinds of bodily structures, including a horse’s head! Excursions across the country were also been an enjoyable part of first year; I had the chance to visit lots of different farms throughout Wales and learn how they all operate on a daily basis.

These trips continued on into second year and third year where I spent an afternoon at Borth Zoo, speaking and listening to the staff about the health and welfare of the animals in their care. At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I also visited an abattoir which was an eye-opening experience that I’m sure none of us will ever forget! In my opinion, sharing these experiences with friends and lecturers on my course and the rest of the Institute of Biological, Environmental, and Rural Sciences (IBERS) department has definitely led to a community feel between all of us. The lecturers are exceptional in terms of expertise, enthusiasm, and willingness to help their students. I have found that they often go out of their way to help a student in need, and go the extra mile to provide sublime learning experiences. One of my lecturers even organised a seminar hosted by the Chief Veterinary Officer for Wales on bovine Tuberculosis, which was a relevant topic for my degree at time.

Overall, I would say that studying Veterinary Biosciences at Aberystwyth University has been a challenging degree but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless!