Refurbishment of Hugh Owen Level D 

At Aberystwyth we are committed to bringing the best out of our student’s, particularly their studies. We create space’s that suit all student’s needs and methods of studying to help their student’s study experience improve. The Hugh Owen Library has been undergoing a huge refurbishment of the level D area since summer to create a brighter and more welcoming area for students to study. This January, the work has been completed and I was able to see the great changes that have been made to the space.

As soon as you enter the library you are welcomed by vibrant colours in a light and airy environment. The funky new wallpaper and various new seating areas, ranging from sofas to pod chair seating, make sure you’re comfortable in the library, for however long you have to stay in there and settle into this environment quickly.

When I was revising one of my favourite ways to reward myself (after I had managed to sit down and reach my target without too much procrastination) was treating myself to a chocolate bar. If you are the same, or feeling peckish, there’s a new vending machine area where you can buy popular snacks, hot and cold drinks, and refill water bottles. Right next to this area is more seating with new tables to spread your work out on.

If you have a group project coming up and want a space that lets you discuss individual’s tasks and practice the work, the two new group study rooms are the perfect place. They can fit eight people in and come with a whiteboard and TV monitor, so you can delve into your projects without cramming around a small screen.

There is also a new computer area, to facilitate IT study, with more computers in this area it means more student’s will be able to use the computers in the library.  Other big additions to the library were a collection of Art on loan from Aber’s School of Art, a gender-neutral toilet and more plug sockets.

If you are a student at Aberystwyth or thinking of studying here make sure to check it out!