Dear library users!
Great news – the lighting and air conditioning is now installed and our crew is putting ceiling tiles in the ceiling frame.
On a different note, we would like to encourage all students and staff to feedback to us all your suggestions, likes and dislikes in this year’s Information Services User Survey: https://aber.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/isusersurvey17
We want to know what you think about your library, the Level D refurbishment and also the services we provide.
We wish you a good week,
Ania and Arfon
Level D refurbishment progress is stepping up fast. Every week we see things changing and beginning to take shape. Most recently our crew started working on:
• Your new group study room…
• and the gender neutral toilets at the bottom of the stairs.
We would like to apologise once again for any noise disruption. As we mentioned in our previous blog posts, this will soon become less of an issue.
Please check our previous posts:
• We are now undertaking work on the ceiling
• Come to celebrate Level D reopening on 3 January 2018!
You will hear from us soon,
Ania and Arfon
Just two weeks ago we updated you on the ceiling work undertaken on Level D (see our last post here). We are pleased to say that the noisiest work is nearly over. Spaces are really starting to take shape with fixtures and fittings now being added – take a look at some new photos below:
• The first lamps are being installed here.
• The refreshment area is looking good!
We know that during the past few weeks the library was not as quiet as it usually is. Your patience and understanding will be rewarded with cake for all who come to celebrate Level D reopening on Wednesday 3 January 2018. A small formal opening by the Vice-Chancellor will take place around a week later.
We will come back soon with new updates and photos.
Ania and Arfon
Welcome to new students and welcome back to returning students who may be suprised to find that the original library entrance on Level D is not open and that there is a temporary entrance to the Hugh Owen Library via Level E. This is due to building work taking place over summer and continuing through this first term to refurbish Level D. A reminder of why the Hugh Owen Library Level D is being refurbished.
To help you all find your way into the Library until Level D reopens in January 2018 please see:
How to find the Hugh Owen Library entrance from the direction of Rosser/Parry-Williams (TFTV Dept.) direction: https://youtu.be/5_Emw7sYVxQ
How to find the Hugh Owen Library entrance from the Piazza: https://youtu.be/ZeMt3MtchGY
Refurbished Level D is really starting to take shape with old office walls having been removed and new walls up and plastered, making new areas. The photos below have been taken just before the start of term, and show the new group study spaces, new Enquiry Desk area and the space leading down towards the stairs up to Level E of the library. We are very excited to see so much progress and look forward to new furniture arriving in November and seeing the space in full use in January 2018.
We are currently in week 10 of building works.
In our meeting last week with the contractors, RL Davies it was confirmed that:
• Mechanical and Electrical isolation/strip out is 100% complete.
• Plumbing and Mechanical 1st fix is in progress.
• Internal partitions are all boarded on one side.
• Entrance lobby substructure has been completed. Components have been removed to create space for our new entrance. (A reminder that the entrance will be relocated to face onto the concourse)
• Our suspended ceiling grid is due to be installed next week.
• Work continues on the ventilation system. This new ventilation system will result in a more pleasant working environment for staff and students on Level D.
View from old entrance facing new Refreshment Area – Before
View from old entrance facing new Refreshment Area – Currently
The main thing we are working on this week with our electricians and mechanical engineers, is the position of our new furniture. Following on from regular student feedback, we are endeavoring to ensure we have as many plug and USB points as is reasonable in our new space to enable you to charge your devices.
View from old entrance – Before
View from old entrance. Door on left of photo leads to stairs. Current view.
Location of new entrance – before
New entrance being build on left side of photo. Current view
We have also had very successful meetings with our colleagues in the Design Studio. Again, following on from student feedback, we are hoping to have some very beautiful murals and wallpaper in our new look Level D.
(Welsh translation to follow)
We are in week 6 of building works:
Last week, at our regular catch up with our contractors RL Davies the following progress was reported:
• Set up and enabling works are completed.
• The contractors are at the end of the soft strip out and demolition phase.
• The electrical strip out has begun and the first fix is underway.
• The mechanical strip out is due to begin imminently.
• A new mains board has been installed.
We also discussed things like door locks, ceiling tiles and carpet tiles.
This week there will be work happening on the air handling unit and the plumbing system.
We are hoping to have more photos of the progress up soon.
Work on the project has begun and our contractors RL Davies are in the middle of the demolition phase of the building work. It’s really exciting to see progress being made. Hoarding has gone up around the site and we have got some information posters up to ensure everyone knows what’s going on behind the barrier.
We have also set up a display outside the temporary entrance to the library. This details the full layout of the refurbished space and also illustrates some of the furniture, colours and patterns that we will see when the work is complete.
The demolition is the noisiest stage of the project and our contractors expect it to only last another three days or so; they are also working into the evenings to minimize noise during office hours.
We appreciate that there has been noise disturbance during this phase and we thank everyone for their understanding and patience while we carry out these essential works.
Here are some images of the ongoing strip out.
Myself and Julie Hart, our Head Librarian and Project Executive, sporting very fashionable safety gear, on our way down to visit our contractors.
To help our users find the entrance to the Hugh Owen library during the refurbishment Ellie Downes, our wonderful library assistant, has made some videos which show exactly how to find us.
How to find the Hugh Owen Library entrance from the direction of Rosser/Parry-Williams (TFTV Dept.) direction:
How to find the Hugh Owen Library entrance from the Piazza
Information Services has a history of supporting ‘Green’ activities and considering the environmental impact of all our activities. Last summer, we were awarded the Gold Standard Award under the Green Impact Programme.
To continue our sustainable practice during service relocation and the emptying of Level D we have:
- Retained glass from Level D to be reused in the new layout.
- Repurposed some unwanted furniture and given it a new lease of life (photos below are of old drawers which have been given a makeover)
- Donated any unwanted crockery from the staff lounge to Craft to be reused.
- Installed a Hydrachill machine – this allows us to refill our water bottles and thus reduce the need to purchase bottled water.
- Retained Wireless Access Points and our CCTV equipment to be reused.
- Relocated furniture / shelving across our libraries.
- Recycled all redundant electrical/IT equipment.
- Retained door motors to reuse in the new build.
Wherever possible we have endeavored to ensure all our actions have a minimal impact on the environment.
Work to move our Library and IT services to E floor began in earnest yesterday.
- Self Issue with Fines Payment Kiosk has been relocated from Level D to the Iris De Freitas Room
- Computers outside the lift on E floor have been removed and will be re-distributed throughout the library. Do check the Computer Availability page to find an available PC.
- Tables outside the lift on E floor have been relocated to the area outside the lift on F floor.
- The IT Service Desk Team are currently relocating up to Level E along with the Library Service Desk Team
A reminder that Level D will close to all at 5:30pm on Monday the 5th of June.
From 8:30am on Tuesday the 6th of June our front line services will be delivered from Level E.
Please enter and exit the library via the Accessibility entrance on E floor (the entrance faces the upper foyer at the south end of the Hugh Owen building – above entrance to the Welsh and Celtic Studies department).
A huge thank you to our Portering staff who have worked very hard moving furniture around the library. Thanks also to our Workshop colleagues who have been busy moving PC’s around.
More moving and shaking next Monday and Tuesday and I’ll aim to update you all again soon.
Temporary desk layout on E floor.
Relocated Self-Issue with Fine Payment machine.