Welcome to new students and welcome back to returning students who may be suprised to find that the original library entrance on Level D is not open and that there is a temporary entrance to the Hugh Owen Library via Level E. This is due to building work taking place over summer and continuing through this first term to refurbish Level D. A reminder of why the Hugh Owen Library Level D is being refurbished.
To help you all find your way into the Library until Level D reopens in January 2018 please see:
How to find the Hugh Owen Library entrance from the direction of Rosser/Parry-Williams (TFTV Dept.) direction: https://youtu.be/5_Emw7sYVxQ
How to find the Hugh Owen Library entrance from the Piazza: https://youtu.be/ZeMt3MtchGY
Refurbished Level D is really starting to take shape with old office walls having been removed and new walls up and plastered, making new areas. The photos below have been taken just before the start of term, and show the new group study spaces, new Enquiry Desk area and the space leading down towards the stairs up to Level E of the library. We are very excited to see so much progress and look forward to new furniture arriving in November and seeing the space in full use in January 2018.
We are currently in week 10 of building works.
In our meeting last week with the contractors, RL Davies it was confirmed that:
• Mechanical and Electrical isolation/strip out is 100% complete.
• Plumbing and Mechanical 1st fix is in progress.
• Internal partitions are all boarded on one side.
• Entrance lobby substructure has been completed. Components have been removed to create space for our new entrance. (A reminder that the entrance will be relocated to face onto the concourse)
• Our suspended ceiling grid is due to be installed next week.
• Work continues on the ventilation system. This new ventilation system will result in a more pleasant working environment for staff and students on Level D.
View from old entrance facing new Refreshment Area – Before
View from old entrance facing new Refreshment Area – Currently
The main thing we are working on this week with our electricians and mechanical engineers, is the position of our new furniture. Following on from regular student feedback, we are endeavoring to ensure we have as many plug and USB points as is reasonable in our new space to enable you to charge your devices.
View from old entrance – Before
View from old entrance. Door on left of photo leads to stairs. Current view.
Location of new entrance – before
New entrance being build on left side of photo. Current view
We have also had very successful meetings with our colleagues in the Design Studio. Again, following on from student feedback, we are hoping to have some very beautiful murals and wallpaper in our new look Level D.
(Welsh translation to follow)